IF Cabin Crew Emergency Training

Non-German speaking members, please submit your topics here.
Feel free to reply to existing (German) threads in English language.

Moderator: Kilo Mike Sierra

interDDR-Australia
Benutzer
Benutzer
Postcode: 3442
IF Cabin Crew Emergency Training

Ungelesener Beitragvon interDDR-Australia » Mi 22. Dez 2010, 01:57

Being an ex-emergency procedures trainer for cabin crew in Australia, I would like to know a bit about cabin crew training at Interflug - the courses, the facilities etc and also a little about the aircraft you were endorsed on. Also, how hard it was to attain a position as cabin crew with Interflug and the recruitment process. I look forward to comments!
0 x

Sigrid Klein
ex-Interflieger (FB/VF)
ex-Interflieger (FB/VF)
Postcode: 16225
Re: IF Cabin Crew Emergency Training

Ungelesener Beitragvon Sigrid Klein » Mi 22. Dez 2010, 11:02

Hi, Neil, glad to have you here in the forum.I like your website, I read it with a smile on my face and enjoyed the photos.
It´s unbelievable , that you drive a Trabant.
It is amazing, that you are interested in the life in the GDR, on the other side of the world.
I´m Sigrid , a former flight attendent of Interflug (1974 until 1987)
I can tell you something about emergency training for flight attendents by Interflug.
Once a year all had to pass an examination, which had two parts.One was a written , we had to answer several questions,
such as : How many fire exstinguishers are onboard a Ilyushin 62, where is its position, and you how do you use it?
Or : How to use an oxygen mask, how many we have onboard a Tupolev 134 ?
Cabin crew was flying on all types of Interflug aircraft , and we had to know safety regulations of IL 18, IL 62 , TU 134, A 300 and in the first year of my profession Antonov 24. Quiet a lot to learn, to repeat , to remember all the time.
The other part, and this was really hard, was the practical one.
On the area of Schönefeld, there was a part of an crashed Tupolev 134,( that had a hard landing ), and they used in for emercency training for cabin crew.
About this I will write the next days. In this forum , there are two other former flight attendents, who will sure help me.

Greetings , merry Christmas , until the next time Sigrid
0 x

Flieger Bernd
Administrator
Administrator
Postcode: 20095

Ungelesener Beitragvon Flieger Bernd » Mi 22. Dez 2010, 18:40

interDDR-Australia hat geschrieben:Being an ex-emergency procedures trainer for cabin crew in Australia, ...

Hi Neil, great fellow 8-)
Sigrid has written well, safety was important in Interflug - staff regularly had to pass exams.
The same as the cockpit crew.
A small problem - two languages at Interflug: Russian and English :lol:
0 x
Anfang sky
Endeground

interDDR-Australia
Benutzer
Benutzer

Ungelesener Beitragvon interDDR-Australia » Do 23. Dez 2010, 00:09

Hi Sigrid and Flieger Bernd!

Thank you for your replies and I very much look forward to the next part of cabin crew training! It's great to have contact with fellow air crew - and from Interflug - you have made my day!!!! I have been very interested in the DDR since I was in primary school and in a way I have grown up 'with' the DDR if not 'in' the DDR! I have a large collection of items - consumer goods (radios, telephones, groceries, stereos), money, posters, books, a lot of music (which I play in the Trabi!) and even a light fitting from the former Palace der Republik. I can honestly say it's a part of my everyday life - people think I'm a little mad! I have also been very interested in airliners since a child so Interflug was a natural progression in my interest, even more so when I started as a Flight Attendant. Please keep in touch and feel free to e-mail me direct, I would very much like to keep in contact with you all and share stories and maybe, if you agree, put some information on my website?
0 x

Flieger Bernd
Administrator
Administrator
Postcode: 20095

Ungelesener Beitragvon Flieger Bernd » Do 23. Dez 2010, 18:55

interDDR-Australia hat geschrieben:Hi Sigrid and Flieger Bernd!
... a lot of music (which I play in the Trabi!) and even a light fitting from the former Palace der Republik.
Bild
interDDR-Australia hat geschrieben: ... , if you agree, put some information on my website?

yes of course, you may write all the information on your HP
0 x
Anfang sky
Endeground

Sigrid Klein
ex-Interflieger (FB/VF)
ex-Interflieger (FB/VF)
Postcode: 16225

Ungelesener Beitragvon Sigrid Klein » Mo 27. Dez 2010, 18:12

Hi, Neil,
Of course, you can use the information on your website.
Today I will write something about "practical " emergency training.
How I wrote before, there was this part of a crashed TU 134. There were 10 rows with passenger seats, one main exit with an emergency slide and 4 emergency exits over the wings (part of the wings, if I remember well).There were fire extinguishers and oxygen implements.
Our emergency trainer , told 2 persons , to be attendents, the other had to be passengers.
Every year, there was another situation, to be trained.For instance , one year emergency landing with fire on the left side of the plane. The trainer told us the situation, and then we had to act, to react.
After the evacuation over slide or over the wing, after running off the plane, the group of attendents came together in a room,
and the trainer told us, what was good, what has to be improved, and what time in minutes we needed to get the people out of the aircraft.
Though it was hard,but it was helpfull for us.One year we did the training in a dark envirement.
Further we had every 5 years training for emergency watering.......next time more-----

Greatings over the oceans Sigrid
0 x

interDDR-Australia
Benutzer
Benutzer

Ungelesener Beitragvon interDDR-Australia » Do 30. Dez 2010, 08:49

Thanks Sigrid!

It's very interesting to learn about other airlines and I look forward to more!! Can you tell me how your rostering system worked? Did you have seniority? How were duties allocated and where did you 'slip' - (layover or overnight)? What was your favourite aircraft to work on? Today I returned from seeing my family in South Australia - about a 10 hour drive each way, on the way home we stopped in a small town called Hamilton which has a museum dedicated to the now defunct Ansett Airlines. It has uniforms, posters, aircraft, cutlery, tickets, old advertising and so many photographs! Ansett was one of our oldest and biggest airlines until they went bankrupt - we have a lot of former Ansett staff/crew working for us. I did my school work experience with Ansett Airlines of South Australia (a regional airline of Ansett) as a flight attendant in the 80's on Fokker F27's. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and have a very Happy New Year - I look forward to more stories from you and your friends for my website - I have already announced the arrival of the "Interflug Stories!" on the welcome page. All the very best from (hot) Australia! Neil
0 x

interDDR-Australia
Benutzer
Benutzer

Ungelesener Beitragvon interDDR-Australia » Mi 5. Jan 2011, 22:46

DSC00945.jpg

Hi Sigrid,

This photo was taken about two years ago when I was a Purser at short-haul (in the old uniform) onboard one of our 767-300's, this model is an "RR" - one of four that we leased from British Airways before finally purchasing them. We don't like them much - the galleys are a nightmare to work with but the saving grace is there are eight main emergency exit doors so we have a cabin crew complement of eight (nine on short dinner services) compared to seven on a regular 767-300 (with the four overwing exits). I'm on the left in the red tie. Regards Neil
0 x

Kilo Mike Sierra
Administrator
Administrator
Postcode: 1189

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kilo Mike Sierra » Mo 10. Jan 2011, 15:45

I remember having seen uniform-wearing INTERFLUG crew "playing" with some big life rafts on Müggelsee lake. At the end, they were "rescued" by one of our large Mil Mi-8 helicopters. This was pretty amazing to watch. Up to this day, I do not know whether this joint excercise* was a routine part of our emergency training or just a demonstration or evaluation of some new equipment like these life rafts for 26 persons.

Therefore I would like to ask our former crew members to give us some details on how the ditching training was performed back then.

*) involving flight crew of the Airline division and helicopters of the Special Flight division

Preempting the standard question in this forum ("Have you taken any pictures?"), I have to admit that I failed to do so. I witnessed this performance totally unprepared i.e. just by chance. Please forgive me.
0 x
Thomas

Mein Auto kann ich innerhalb von 5 Minuten komplett "aufladen" (sogar überall unterwegs) und komme damit ca. 700 km weit.

EA-Henning
Administrator
Administrator
Postcode: 99817
Skype-Name: EDGE-Henning

Ungelesener Beitragvon EA-Henning » Mo 10. Jan 2011, 18:40

Have you been here for at that time not a smartphone with Camera ?....
0 x
Flieger sterben nicht, sie fliegen nur höher!

Zurück zu „INTERFLUG (English language section)“